Here are just a few of our favorite essential oils:
- Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile): antispasmodic, menstrual cramps, sedative, relieves anxiety/stress, insomnia, great for children (comforting, soothing), anti-inflammatory
- Clary Sage Essential OilClary sage (Salvia sclarea): antispasmodic, relieves menstrual cramps, aphrodisiac, relaxing, relieves anxiety/stress, labor pain management
- Eucalyptus Globulus Essential OilEucalyptus globulus: expectorant, decongestant, beneficial for flu/cold season, clearing to the mind, energizing, bronchitis (avoid with children under 2, use Eucalyptus radiata instead)
- Eucalyptus Radiata Essential OilEucalyptus radiata: expectorant, this eucalyptus species is indicated for children with respiratory congestion, useful for colds and flu, antiviral
- Fennel Essential OilFennel (Foeniculum vulgare var. dulce): digestive, menstrual irregularities, antimicrobial
- Frankincense Essential OilFrankincense (Boswellia frereana): strengthens the immune system (CO2 extract), soothes inflamed skin conditions, cell regenerative
- Geranium Essential OilGeranium (Pelargonium x asperum syn. graveolens): PMS, indicated for hormonal imbalance, antimicrobial, nerve pain
- Ginger Essential OilGinger (Zingiber officinale): digestive, useful to eliminate gas, constipation, relieves nausea, warming emotionally and physically, anti-inflammatory, relieves pain, immune modulator
- Helichrysum Essential OilHelichrysum (Helichrysum italicum): cell regenerative, wound healing, anti-inflammatory, indicated for bruises and swelling
- Lavender Essential OilLavender (Lavandula angustifolia): calming, reduces anxiety, wound healing, burns, cell regenerative, insect bites. reduces itchiness, general skin care, great for children, antispasmodic
- Lemon Essential OilLemon (Citrus limon): antiviral, great for cleaning home, cleansing to environments (room spray), uplifting, detoxing
- Lemongrass Essential OilLemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus): cleansing, antiviral, insect repellant, use for cleaning, antimicrobial
- Mandarin Essential OilMandarin (Citrus reticulata): calming, great for children (can combine with lavender), slightly more warming citrus aroma
- Neroli Essential OilNeroli (Citrus aurantium var. amara): relieves and reduces anxiety, antispasmodic, PMS, antidepressant, nourishing, postpartum depression, pregnancy/delivery
- Patchouli Essential OilPatchouli (Pogostemom cablin): antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, soothes the nervous system
- Peppermint Essential OilPeppermint (Mentha x piperita): relieves nausea, analgesic for muscular aches and pains, relieves/reduces migraines, energizing, antispasmodic, do not use on children under 30 months of age
My Story of Overcoming Bipolar Disorder….Naturally.
I feel like it is my job now to share my story with as many people as possible, for there are many others who suffer from the same disorder. It saddens me to know how many people suffer from just depression alone. Depression is higher than it has ever been affecting people of every age, including children.
I was first diagnosed with depression when I was 13. The first thing the doctors wanted to do was put me on medication. They got their way and managed to put me on 6 different medications, even prescribing five concurrently. The doctors felt that my case was severe enough that I was sent to a hospital for long term care. I was so drugged up that I don’t even remember much of what had happened during that time period. I was a walking vegetable. My parents were told that this would be their daughter for the rest of her life.
The doctors said that I would never be able to be live without medication and I would probably be in and out of mental institutions the rest of my life. They had also informed my parents that school would always be a challenge, especially math. I was allowed to go home on the weekends to try to maintain a relationship with my family. The home visits were not great at all, filled with many outrages, anger, sadness, and I was taking my family with me.
My life was a confusing emotional roller coaster; I didn’t think anyone could possibly understand me. I didn’t even understand myself. I was angry one minute and depressed the next. I started to hallucinate things that weren’t there. I had nightmares. My thoughts were evil and violent. Needless to say things weren’t looking too good for me.
A New Hope…
In October of 1993, my Mom was invited to a little class on essential oils. Some of the people that invited my Mom had told her that these essential oils may help her daughter. Like what a lot of people think when they first hear the term “aromatherapy” my Mom thought of candles, incense, and if you smell an essential oil it was supposed to make you feel a certain way. My Mom, being a master herbalist, master iridologist, and practicing natural health for many years, was open to try out the essential oils class.
Mom was forced to bring me to the class. Mom learned a lot about essential oils while I slept under her chair. My Mom had learned the scientific explanation how essential oils can affect you on the emotional level.
This had excited my Mom who took me to the front of the room to smell the oils. I hated every single one except for the one called “JOY”. I said “that’s not too bad” after saying many untactful comments about the rest of them. That was good enough for my Mom. She spent the last two dollars in her pocket and bought a little Terra cotta pot. The woman that taught the class was nice enough to donate ten drops of JOY in the terra cotta pot. By the time we had gone out to the car something fantastic had happened. For the first time in many months my Mother and I were communicating.
This is one of the first clear memories that I had had since I was put on medication. I remember thinking to myself “My Mom’s actually listening for a change”. My Mom thought, “Oh my gosh, I have my daughter back”. My Mom was so impressed with how fast I responded to the essential oils that she ordered her own oils.
The hospital staff said that I would not be allowed to take the essential oils inside the hospital because they said that someone might drink it. So I was only allowed to be exposed to the oils on the weekends when I was on pass. In two and a half months I was discharged from the hospital, though still on medication.
I remember waking up one morning and looking at the row of drugs I had to take on my dresser. I decided take back control of my own destiny. This was my life, I don’t have to live like this anymore!! I quit taking the drugs cold turkey. Using the JOY oil, everything that they said would be impossible for me became the possible. The disaster they predicted my life to be without the medicine did not happen, in fact quite the opposite did.
A Success Story…
I graduated high school with honors, went to massage school and graduated from there at top of the class (with the help of the oils). I now run my very successful massage business using these wonderful essential oils.
I feel that my success is due to the passion I feel toward being given a second chance at life. I feel it is my job to share the magic of these oils with as many people as I can, because I truly wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for them. I believe that it is why people enjoy getting massages by me. I really don’t think that I am doing anything special, it’s the oils that do all of the work. I am just fortunate enough to be able to be the first one to introduce the essential oils to many people.
I hope that someday, essential oils will be in every home and in every hospital and people will be able to have a new trust in a natural healing modality that works!! I hope that I can help give people hope because of my story and that some of those people will have similar life changing experiences as well.